Saturday, October 10, 2009

Tzitzit



This cord is a tzitzit. Tzitzit is a Hebrew word for a fringe. God told the Israelites to tie them on the corners of prayer shawls. Here is one of the verses from the OT.

In the NT, on the way to someone's home to heal his daughter, Jesus met a woman who was suffering for 12 years of bleeding who touched the fringe of Jesus' robe. Here is one of the translations. According to the Blue Letter Bible, the fringe in the NT for Hebrew translation is tzitzit. The woman did not touch just an edge of Jesus' clothes. It was a tzitzit she touched. A tzitzit spells out the sacred name of God. The cords wrapping around are counted to spell out this name because each Hebrew alphabet has an assigned number. (like a=1, b=2, etc)

Just like the menorah I bought, I wanted to see what a tzitzit looked like so after some prayers, I decided to buy a prayer shawl - just to see what the fringe was like. Then I happened to find a book on Judaism that looked simple enough and very interesting at Barns and Noble. This book has an instruction to make a tzitzit. So I bought some linen yarn and made some. I like it very much. I have seen little cross at a Christian bookstore to put in a pocket to remind us of Jesus. I am saved because of Jesus and I thought it would be wonderful to have a fringe with me all the time to remind me of our great God who loved us so much that he sent his only son to us... I think of God my Father who sent Jesus when I see my tzitzit.

*see wikipedia

(edited from 8/22/2008)

No comments: