Sunday, October 11, 2009

The book of Job and my curiosity

My family left the TV on while we were getting ready to go to church. Adrian Rogers was preaching on the book of Job in the Old Testament. The OT is divided into three sections: the law(first five books), the prophets (Joshua, Judges, etc), and the writings (such as Job).

The Book of Job is hard to read for me. I can't quote from it because what I thought may be good to quote is actually the words of Job's friends and God was not happy with them. I need to read the entire book before I say anything about it. (when will it be??)

Job was a righteous and upright man who feared God. Then he lost all his animals and seven sons and three daughters. This is what it says at the end of the book.

" He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys." Job 42:12


When we look at the beginning of the book, we can see that the number of the animals doubled. God gave Job a double portion. But the number of children is the same. Job lost 7 sons and 3 daughters. After he lost all his children,

"And he also had seven sons and three daughters." Job 42:13

God gave Job the same number of children. Not doubled??
I never heard this before. God gave Job seven sons and three daughters for the second time. Pastor Adrian said that the reason why God did not double the number of children is because they were never lost. They are all in heaven with God. So the total of the children is doubled!

Then I kept reading. The names of the three daughters are mentioned there.

" The first daughter he named Jemimah, the second Keziah and the third Keren-Happuch. Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as Job's daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers. " Job 42:14-15

I know the name Jemimah. A girl in the movie Chitti Chitti Bang Bang. Jemimah is Mr.Potts' daughter's name! (Mr. Potts is the main character.) I didn't see the description of the name in the Blue letter Bible, but my Bible dictionary said that Jamimah means warm and affectionate. Well, I know it doesn't help me with anything but isn't it interesting. The third daughter's name is Keren-Happuch. Keren is the word I wrote about in my blog earlier. It could be 'horn' of 'light'.


(from 09/14/2008)

No comments: