Sunday, November 20, 2011

Spoken words - Deuteromony 4:9

Deuteronomy 4:9 (my own words, acquired from different translations)

Only take heed, hedge about, attend to , and protect your life/breath/soul diligently so that you don't forget what God has said (= and done!) which your eyes have seen, and so that the word of God, which was accomplished by His deeds, will not leave your heart all the way till the end.
Instruct your children and grandchildren.

In Dodie Osteen's book, I read that the word for "God has said (=and done)" is translated as "miracle" in her devotional. In other translations it is "word" or "things." It caught my eyes.
I found that the original word is Strong's Hebrew 1697    דָּבָר (dabar).
It can be word, spoken, matter, or thing. 
Dabar is also the Hebrew title of Deuteronomy. 

Personally this word is saying that the word of God equals things/matter because God does what he says. That the spoken words are always done is hidden in this small word. When God's spoken words or promises come true in front of our eyes, it is a miracle.

Joshua 21:45 (my own words acquired from different translations)

Not one good thing/promise/word (Strong's 1697) which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel failed; all came to pass/go/bring forth/cause.

It is written that God's word will not return to him void. In this case the word even causes things. I sense the importance of the spoken words.

Jesus told the disciples that "These signs will accompany those who believe; They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak new language; they will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won't hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick and heal them."
Then later the Bible says that ".. the disciples went everywhere and preached, and the LORD worked with them, confirming what they said by many miraculous signs."

I don't know how to compare Greek words to Hebrew, but somehow I think these scriptures go together.

I thank God for His life-giving words. Lord, I pray that your word keeps being alive in my life and those who need life in their bodies. 

In Jesus,


No comments: