Saturday, January 9, 2010

Why I study Hebrew

The Little Mermaid story is a good illustration to explain my thoughts.

Ariel found a fork in a sunken ship she and her friend often visit to explore because she is interested in the human world. Forks are not used in her world so she went to her seagull friend who knows about the humans because he sees them from the sky. But the seagull couldn't figure out what it was, so he came up with the name "dinglehopper" which is used to comb hair. It fits Ariel's image and it actually works well as a comb!! So she accepted it as the truth until she actually tried to use it to comb her hair in the human world... Then of course she finds out that it was not for the hair.

I had some dinglehoppers I believed. Those were the teachings I learned without Jewishness. I don't want that any more. I want to know what is written, being guided by the Holy Spirit. Without the Spirit, the written words are dead. Jewishness seems to be ignored from the Christian world. Not everything has to be from Jewish point of view, but some things cannot be found without knowing the Jewish teachings. (One example is why Joshua's name was Hoshea at the end of Deuteronomy.)

I am writing this because I don't want to loose passion for Jesus and the Father who sent him to us.

No comments: