Saturday, March 27, 2010

"But the Scriptures point to me! " says Jesus

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! " John 5:39 (New Living Translation)

This scripture comes to my mind when I use my Torah pointer to read the Bible. Yes, it is called a Torah Pointer. I bought one for myself when I first started to be drawn to the Jewish culture woven into the scriptures. It was always my habit to follow the words using the back of a pen when I read the Bible. Then one day I happened to see a picture of a Jewish girl reading the Torah with something in her hand! It has a little hand and the index finger is pointing. I was so excited and did some research and found out what it was. Now I have one, and I like it a lot.

Easter is approaching. I amuse myself by reading Leviticus with this Torah pointer and think of what Jesus said.

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!"

I wonder if there were any word-plays in the original text in this verse. Jesus was talking to the people who used the Torah pointer... Using the Torah pointer, especially when I read Leviticus, makes me ask myself to see if I am really reading the Bible as the living word or not.

Holy Spirit, speak to us today!

No comments: